Follow These Safety Precautions
While many stain removal, chemicals and bleaches are commonly used around
the home, they are still dangerous. Some are flammable; others are toxic.
Here are some rules to keep in mind regarding their use:
- Store stain removal materials out of the reach of children. Do not
store with food products.
- Read all label directions and warnings. Store chemicals in their
original containers so label directions are available in case of an
- Use all chemicals and commercial stain removal product according to
- Avoid getting the chemicals on your skin. Some are easily absorbed.
- Use drycleaning solvents and other chemicals in a well-ventilated
room. Toxic fumes can cause illness.
- Do not use solvents near an open flame or electrical outlet.
- Seal containers so that fumes can't escape.
- Never mix stain removal materials together (bleach and ammonia
together form toxic fumes).
Special thanks to Iowa State University for allowing us to reproduce this
Reproduced with permission from the Cooperative Extension Service, Iowa
State University, Ames, Iowa, 50011.
Prepared by: Janis Stone,
Textiles and Clothing Specialist,
Iowa State University
No endorsement of companies or their products mentioned is intended, nor
is criticism implied of similar companies or their products not mentioned.