With regard to level of the lower edge:
- leaving the belly button area bare (much more common for women than for men)
- until the waist
- covering the crotch
- covering part of the legs (essentially this is a dress; however, a piece of clothing is either perceived as a shirt (worn with trousers) or as a dress (worn by women, and by men just in the special case of cross-dressing).
- and levels in between.
With regard to opening:
- vertical opening on the front side, all the way down, with buttons or zipper.
left and right front side not separable, put
on over the head; with regard to upper front side
- V-shaped permanent opening on the top of the front side
- no opening at the upper front side
- vertical opening on the upper front side with buttons or zipper
With regard to the
- with polo-neck
- with collar. Furthermore the collar may have buttons at the tips for a "button-down collar".
- without collar
- With regard to pockets: how many (if any), where, and with regard to closure: not closable, just a flap, or with a button or zipper.
- With or without hood
Some combinations are not applicable, of course, e.g. a tube top cannot have a collar.