was established in 1963 by the professionnals of the
textile-garment-care chain. Its head-office is in Paris, France.
care symbols are registered with the WIPO (World Intellectual Property
Organization) in Geneva, Switerland as international trademarks.
To this end, care symbols must be used in respect
of the use regulations of the trademarks together with the technical
information on which they are based. This will help in the correct use
of the symbols by the professionnals.
has the following objectives:
- to define symbols for textile care at an
- to define the regulations for the use of the
- to promote the propagation of the care
- to acquire all markings and all rights
relative to the symbols,
- to register all marks, both national and
- to insure protection for all marks and
symbols as adopted in all member countries of the Association,
- to conclude all agreements liable to the
promotion of the above-mentioned objectives,
- in general, to take all measures and carry
out all actions in order to promote the above objectives, either
directly or indirectly.
GINETEX care labelling
system is based on the following principles:
- the uniform use of the symbols is basically
carried out in the interest of the consumer,
- the symbols were introduced in order to avoid
any misinterpretation by the consumer,
- the GINETEX
symbols are simple enough to be understood in all countries,
irrespective of the language spoken by the users, yet providing as
much information as possible on the appropriate care treatments for
- in order to prevent irreversible damage, the
professionnals are responsible for the choice of care-treatment in
- the GINETEX
care symbols cannot be used separately and shall refer to all
treatments in the order: washing, bleaching, tumble drying, ironing
- the symbols of the actual care labelling code
shall be adapted whenever necessary to technical and economical
evolutions but the changes must be limited to essential ones in
order not to create confusion for the consumer.
Textile care labelling
symbols are managed by GINETEX (International Association for
Textile Care Labelling).